Flammulated Owl (Otus flammeolus) is designated by the Committee on the Status of Endangered Wildlife in Canada (COSEWIC) as a species of Special Concern in Canada and is on Schedule 1 of Canada?s Species at Risk Act. Provincially, it is on the Blue list and is a priority 2 under goal 2 (Prevent species and ecosystems from becoming at risk) of British Columbia?s Conservation Framework. It is protected from capture and killing, under the BC Wildlife Act. It is also listed as a Species At Risk under the Forest and Range Practices Act, which enables habitat management tools as per the Identified Wildlife Management Strategy.
Key threats include problematic native species (e.g., pine beetles), fire and fire suppression, climate change, and logging and wood harvest. Knowledge gaps include impacts from management approaches including Natural Disturbance Type forest management, Ungulate Winter Range management, Btk spraying for forest invertebrate pests, and logging activities after pine beetle.
The management goal is to maintain stable or increasing populations of the Flammulated Owl distributed throughout the species? present range in British Columbia.
Management objectives include:
1. Identify population, habitat and distribution targets required to maintain viable populations.
2. Initiate protection2 and/or management of priority breeding habitat for Flammulated Owl distributed throughout its range in B.C.
3. Investigate knowledge gaps related to cumulative impacts of medium impact threats and extreme severity or unknown threats: problematic native species (e.g., pine beetles), fire and fire suppression, and logging and wood harvest.
4. Investigate knowledge gaps related to management: Natural Disturbance Type fire management, Ungulate Winter Range management, range management, and firewood cutting.
5. Establish and implement a monitoring program for Flammulated Owl habitats and populations.
Prepared by the Provincial Flammulated Owl Working Group. 2011. Management Plan for the Flammulated Owl (Otus flammeolus) in British Columbia. Province of British Columbia. Management Plan (Species at Risk)
Topic: Recovery Planning
Keywords: "species of special concern", "red list", "red listed", "Species at Risk Act", "Forest and Range Practices Act", "Species at Risk", "Conservation Framework", "COSEWIC"
Scientific Name: Otus flammeolus
English Name: Flammulated Owl
To copy the URL of a document, Right Click on the document title, select "Copy Shortcut/Copy Link", then paste as needed. Only documents available to the public have this feature enabled.