In 1929, the Forest Branch of the British Columbia Ministry of Lands designated land for a forest experiment station on the south shore of Cowichan Lake. Here, long term forest research was to be conducted on the tree species of the Douglas-fir region.
The forest experiment station was developed in two units; first the Mesachie unit, on the south side of Cowichan Lake where the present Research Station is situated, and the North Arm unit which was established in 1939 across the lake, about five kilometres from the village of Lake Cowichan. Today the two units total 300 hectares. A camp and cookhouse, built in the 1930s to house reforestation crews, are still in use.
BC Forest Service - Research Division. 1988. Cowichan Lake Research Station. British Columbia Ministry of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development
Topic: FLNRORD Research Program
To copy the URL of a document, Right Click on the document title, select "Copy Shortcut/Copy Link", then paste as needed. Only documents available to the public have this feature enabled.