The B.C. Ministry of Forests and Range requires that a certain amount of land is retained as old and mature forest across all forest management areas in BC. These seral requirements are by landscape unit (LU) and biogeoclimatic zone (BEC). The areas required have been located in spatially explicit areas known as old growth management areas (OGMAs). These OGMAs aim to spatially satisfy the seral requirements and are unavailable for harvesting.
Timberline Natural Resource Group Limited (Timberline) has been contracted to carry out an OGMA optimization analysis. In this project, OGMAS will be analyzed and optimized spatially resulting in a coverage delineating proposed OGMAs.
OGMA relocation was carried out as follows:
1. The existing OGMA area in each LU-BEC combination was summarized;
2. Each stand was given a stand ranking based upon criteria (see following documentation);
3. A stand rank threshold was chosen (above which OGMAs were not relocated and below which OGMAs were relocated);
4. Area was relocated into OGMAs- choosing the 'oldest' areas first and keeping the same area in each LU-BEC combination; and
5. OGMA areas were summarized.
The most recent available data has been used in this analysis. The existing OGMA coverage was sourced from the Integrated Land Management Bureau (ILMB).