Juvenile and adult scale samples were collected in the Somass watershed from 1976 to 1978. Scales were analyzed by Fish and Wildlife staff at the facilities of the Pacific Biological Station, Nanaimo, B.C. The most common total age of wild summer steelhead was 2.2+ (53.7%) followed by 2.1+ (19.5%). The most common total ages of winter steelhead were 2.2 (39.3%) and 2.3 (28.6%). Summer steelhead were comprised primarily of fish that spent two years in fresh water (73.2%), while most of the remainder spent three years in fresh water (22.0%). The most common fresh water ages of winter steelhead were 2. (68.4%) and 3. (28.4%). Over three-quarters (78.3%) of the summer steelhead sampled returned at the start of their third summer (.2+). The remainder (21.7%) returned at the start of their second summer. Of the winter steelhead samples, 62.8% and 35.8% returned during their second (.2) and third (.3) ocean winters, respectively. Only two of 62 (3.3%) summer steelhead sampled were returning to spawn for a second tim
Horncastle, G.S.. 1981. Life History of Steelhead Trout From the Somass River on Vancouver Island. Ministry of Environment. Fisheries Technical Circular. FTC51
Topic: Fish and Fish Habitats
Keywords: steelhead, Somass River, age, sex ratio, spawning, size
Scientific Name: Oncorhynchus mykiss
English Name: Rainbow Trout
To copy the URL of a document, Right Click on the document title, select "Copy Shortcut/Copy Link", then paste as needed. Only documents available to the public have this feature enabled.